Saturday 17 December 2011

Owl Art - Free Roaming (Original Mixed Media Assemblage Collage Art)

Here's the fourth artwork of my latest "Catching A Fleeting Moment" collection, Free Roaming.


 

Freedom, a precious commodity, a commodity that's even more precious than gold. Freedom to choose where to graze, where to roam and where to make your dwelling. Creating and living a life according to your own terms and definitions, being an architect of your destiny.




Flipping through a magazine one day, I chanced upon a page of a model wearing a leopard print dress lined with wide floral laces horizontally across the dress and she's right in the middle of the savannah grasslands. I love the wild yet romantic look, it's absolutely beautiful.Sometimes, thoughts don't come to me in logical rational fashion, this dress and its' entire mood led me to think of a life that abandons imposed standards and following one's choices and loves, being in one's own natural element. This, I suppose is a foundational basis to which we attract the beautiful things into our lives.






I sourced for a suitable leopard print fabric to which to paint my owl on. Then of course I needed some safari friends, the 4 of them are vintage old stock brass stampings from the US. I love the petite beigy floral with gold tints appliques and used them for the basis of the borders. Then began the hunt for some vintage fun earthy looking buttons to embellish the borders.  Happy to chance upon a beautiful gold sequinned butterfly applique in a craft shop filled with eclectic items. White pearls are added to the owl's eyes and light topaz rhinestone gems add sparkle to the owl's wings.




This artwork measures about 12 x 10 inches unframed. When framed, it measures about 16 x 14 inches.



No comments:

Post a Comment